First Tee – Greater Richmond serves a unique role in our community. Not only are we a youth development organization delivering character education through the game of golf, but we also provide inclusive golf experiences for thousands of patrons annually at two (soon to be three) public golf facilities. All revenue generated from public use directly benefits youth programs.
Read below to learn more about our facilities as well as upgrades we made in 2020.
The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course
6736 Huntingcreek Drive, N. Chesterfield, VA 23237 | www.playgolfrva.org | @playgolfrva
In August of 2000, First Tee – Greater Richmond opened its golf course in Chesterfield County becoming the nation’s twentieth programming location. This 18-hole, par 66 golf course provides a challenge for all level of golfers. In addition to the 18-hole course, it includes great practice facilities complete with a driving range, practice greens, and a 3-hole development course focused on scoring distances developed by renowned architect Lester George. The Tattersall Youth Development Center focuses on providing opportunities to the local community, historically hosting County, Corporate, and fund raising events. The pro-shop attends to all golf needs – fittings, apparel, and equipment.
After a five-month renovation, The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course reopened to rave reviews in May despite the clubhouse remaining closed due to COVID-19. The clubhouse was the centerpiece of the renovation. We transformed it into a youth-centric space that provides a safe, innovative learning environment for golfers of all ages. This provides the organization with a better space to serve the youth enrolled in our programming and patrons looking to improve their game and enjoy their golf outing. Improvements include:
- The addition of an interactive community room
- A Trackman 4 Dual Radar Launch Monitor and Simulator that enables users to choose from 20 famous golf courses to play virtually or analyze every facet of their swing through data-driven practice and custom club fitting opportunities with PGA professionals
- A collaborative afterschool hangout to excite youth participants and enable coaches and mentors to increase the impact on all patrons
- A small retail center
- Expanded outdoor seating and hangout space
- A new fleet of golf carts
- Turf enhancements on holes 1 and 10 and bunker work that fixes drainage issues and adds sand for course consistency
- Landscaping around the new clubhouse to create a more open overlook to the Discovery Course and practice area
The Elson Redmond Memorial Driving Range
400 School Street, Richmond, VA 23222 | www.playgolfrva.org | @playgolfrva
Originally built in 2003, The Elson Redmond Memorial Driving Range is a championship level practice facility for golfers of all skill sets. The First Tee of Greater Richmond operates this facility to fulfill its mission while hosting patrons and Virginia Commonwealth University’s Men’s Golf Team. The facility offers a 6-hole par-3 course with Bermuda grass and Champion Bermuda greens built by nationally acclaimed architect Lester George. Additionally, a large grass range, practice greens and bunker, and two Trackman 4 simulator bays promote a wide variety of practice opportunities. Located in the heart of downtown Richmond, The Elson Redmond Memorial Driving Range provides a premier experience for all golfers.
The New Belmont Golf Course – coming May 2021!
1600 Hilliard Road, Henrico, VA 23228 | www.playbelmontrva.org | @playbelmontrva
After announcing plans for a multimillion-dollar renovation of Belmont Golf Course in Henrico County in December 2019, an extensive restoration and renovation began in May at Belmont, led by Love Golf Design and MacCurrach Golf Construction under the direction of First Tee – Greater Richmond. We could not be more excited to deliver on our promise of a community-focused, inclusive and affordable golf facility for all ages and skill levels.
The facility will enable us to expand our youth programming to a new audience. We’re already delivering programming to more than 40 schools in Henrico County and look forward to welcoming these students and families to The New Belmont. As for the golf itself, we believe The New Belmont will have something to offer golfers of all skill levels.
- The conversion of the 18-hole course to a 12-hole championship course that restores the final 12 holes in famed designer A.W. Tillinghast’s original routing
- The construction of a six-hole short course inspired by Tillinghast Par-3s from around the country, including holes at Winged Foot, Quaker Ridge and San Francisco Golf Club
- The addition of a 35,000 square-foot putting course that is free for all to enjoy
- The creation of a practice area to include a grass-teed driving range with original Tillinghast greens as targets, a wedge range, short-game area and practice green
First Tee – Greater Richmond sees The New Belmont as a place where the history of American golf meets the future of American golf. Our targeted reopening is May of 2021.